rss icon

Sunday, 21 May 2017 22:39

Sponsored Content: Add 10 Years to Your Life

Written by  Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce
Rate this item
(3 votes)
Explorer and author Dan Buettner will speak at the Grand Rapid Area Chamber of Commerce's Health Care Summit on June 16. Explorer and author Dan Buettner will speak at the Grand Rapid Area Chamber of Commerce's Health Care Summit on June 16. Courtesy photo

What if Grand Rapids could help you live a longer, happier life? The city you live in has the ability to impact your health. The communities we create can increase your quality of life and lower your health care costs.

Becoming a Blue Zone Community may be our answer. A Blue Zone is a region that produces a high number of people who live to be 100 years old. Explorer and author Dan Buettner, with his brother Tony, traveled to Blue Zones around the world, trying to crack the code of each community’s centenarians. He found that just 20 percent of one’s life is determined by genetics. The other 80 percent is determined by lifestyle, often by the community structure itself. Take the Blue Zone vitality test to see what they mean.

On June 16, the Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce is holding the Healthcare Summit: Blue Zones. This half-day event will bring together community members to discuss the idea of Blue Zones in relation to community health, lowering health care costs, and economic development. Tony Buettner, a national spokesperson and senior leader at Blue Zones, will provide his unique insight into this community and life changing approach to public health and happiness.

Healthcare Summit:
Blue Zones

  • Friday, June 16, 2017
  • 7:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
  • Thousand Oaks Golf Club, 4100 Thousand Oaks NE
  • $75 for members, $100 for future members, $600 corporate member rate
  • Late registration starting Friday, June 9: $95 for members, $120 for future members

Blue Zones look at communities from a system-level, determining how to redesign and refocus a city around what matters to the health and happiness of the citizens that live there. This includes travel routes, walkability, bikeability, green spaces, and access to social groups and grocery stores.

These factors not only impact individual and community health, but attracts top talent, increases overall economic growth, and lowers health care costs for the entire community, including businesses. Becoming a Blue Zone will increase live expectancy, improve quality of live, increase productivity, and boost national recognition as a great place to live, work, and visit.

Register for the event at Summit Up! Series

Read 2073 times Last modified on Sunday, 21 May 2017 22:56

Breaking News

September 2018
S M T W T F S
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6

Follow MiBiz